Special Event

Special Event

A short-term organized commercial or not-for-profit recreation/tourism event on Crown land under Part C of the Adventure Tourism Policy (these are Crown land areas outside of BC Parks and established Recreation Sites and Trails). NOTE: An application may not be required if your event fits the criteria outlined in the Crown Land Permissions policy. See the Links section for Permissions policy details. 

Related Activities: Recreational Guiding, Recreations-Tourism Lodge/Area


About this Activity Guide

This guide summarizes the most common requirements and recommendations for your chosen activity and is designed to help you submit a complete application. Be aware that this information is for guidance purposes only.

Applications for Short-term Recreation Gatherings and COVID-19:

Event organizers must ensure their proposed event on Crown land abides by any orders of the Provincial Health Officer and Medical Health Officers pertaining to gatherings of people to reduce the rate of spread of the COVID-19 virus in British Columbia, as amended from time to time. For a copy of current health orders and notices, please refer to the COVID-19 website of the Provincial Health Officer.

Mandatory Authorizations

Authorization Name Link to Authorization Guidance Link to Application
Land Act authorization - Adventure Tourism - Special Activities Authorization Guidance Apply Now


Cost may be a specific value or range of values. The cost includes GST, where applicable.

Cost Type Cost Description Cost Link to Details
Application fee Application processing fee due when application is submitted. $262.50 Crown Land Application Fee Structure
Rent Land rental fee which is prepaid on an annual basis. $125.00 minimum Crown Land Use: Adventure Tourism Policy - See Appendix 6
Insurance A minimum level of liability insurance as specified in Section 9.1 of the policy. Varies - consult your insurance agent Crown Land Use: Adventure Tourism Policy - See Section 8.1
Security A security deposit may be required to ensure the tenure holder complies with and completes all the obligations and requirements specified in the tenure. Varies Crown Land Use: Adventure Tourism Policy - See Section 8.3

Eligibility Requirements

Ensure that you meet the eligibility requirements prior to applying.

Requirement Description
Age Canadian citizens or permanent residents 19 years of age or older.
Canadian Citizen or permanent resident You must be a Canadian Citizen or permanent resident if applying as an individual.
Company eligible to do business in BC Must be incorporated through the BC Companies Registry, or extraprovincially registered if applying as an organization.
First Nations Must apply through Band corporations or Indian Band and Tribal Councils (Band or Tribal Councils require a Band Council Resolution), if applying as First Nations.

Information Requirements

Requirement Description Link to Details
Land Act Online Application An online system which requires you to enter information onscreen and upload documentation, digital files and/or maps to support your application. See the link provided for a checklist of requirements. You can link directly to the online application in the Mandatory Authorizations section. Adventure Tourism Application Requirements Checklist
Crown Land Use Management Plan A concisely written plan explaining the nature and scope of the proposed recreation/tourism activities on Crown land. Refer to link provided for the Crown Land Use Management Plan template, as well as guidance to help you complete your plan. Note: Due to the temporary nature of improvements and land use, specific management plan template requirements listed may not apply. For further assistance, contact your local FrontCounter BC office. Crown Land Use Management Plans
Recreation/tourism guidance to complete management plan
Location Map and Site Plan Map Create a Location Map and Site Plan Map as per the "Adventure Tourism/Commercial Recreation" mapping instructions on the linked page. A digital file in the form of a shapefile, KML or Geomark link is preferred although not required. See Links section for mapping tools to assist with digital files. Site Map Samples Web Page

Potential Additional Requirements

Requirement Description When is it Required?
Agent Letter Signed and dated letter providing approval for agent or consultant to act on behalf of applicant. Legal names/entities to be used on letter. Refer to Links section for template. When an agent or consultant will be acting on behalf of applicant.
Co-Applicant Permission A co-applicant authorization letter is generated within the Online Application system which must be signed digitally or printed, signed and uploaded. The letter authorizes the main applicant to provide personal information for all co-applicants. A separate letter is required for each co-applicant. When more than one applicant has requested to be named on the tenure document, which makes them co-applicants.
Authorization to Use an Established Forest Recreation Site or Trail Authorization is required from the District Recreation Officer to use a forest recreation site or trail established under Section 56 of the Forest and Range Practices Act (FRPA). For example, commercial activities must be authorized under Section 16 of the Forest Recreation Regulation. When accessing a FRPA-established recreation site or trail.
Occupant Licence to Cut An authorization for trees to be cut on a Crown land tenure. Refer to Links section for additional information. When the tenure holder needs to cut timber on the Crown land tenure.
Road Use Permit or Maintenance Agreement Road Use Permit (RUP) for a Forest Service Road or a Maintenance Agreement with an existing permit holder, if the road is under road permit or special use permit. Refer to Links section for additional information. If you will transport heavy equipment or materials on an existing forest road.
Water Sustainability Act - Change or Use Approval An authorization under the Water Sustainability Act which allows you to make changes in and about a freshwater source. Change or Use approval applies depending on activity and length of use. If you will be working in or around freshwater.
Link Description
Agent Letter (Letter of Agency) A document to be signed to allow another party to manage an application on behalf of a client.
BCeID An online service that allows you to use a user ID and password to sign in securely to BCeID-participating Government Online Services. For this activity, you will need a Business or Basic BCeID. Do not choose Personal.
Crown Land Use: Adventure Tourism Policy The Crown Land Use Policy which provides the details of the land use program being summarized by this document.
Crown Land Use: Adventure Tourism Web Page A web page providing additional detail.
Crown Land Use: Permissions Policy The Crown Land Use Policy which provides the details of the land use program being summarized by this document.
FrontCounter BC Discovery Tool A Google Earth based mapping tool where you can create a Geomark or KML.
iMapBC A mapping tool where you can create a shapefile.
Occupant Licence to Cut Form Licence needed for cutting or cutting and removing Crown timber.
Off Road Vehicle Management Framework A web page providing additional details relating to off-road vehicle (ORV) laws in B.C., including information about the requirements for using or operating ORVs on Crown land under the Off-Road Vehicle Act. For example, under s.3(2)(c) of the Off-Road Vehicle Regulation, an ORV used or operated in a sporting or competitive event or motorsport dealer demonstration is exempt from the vehicle registration requirement if the event or demonstration is temporarily authorized by a permit under the Land Act (specifically, Special Event Permit under Part C of the Adventure Tourism Policy).
Road Use Permit A Road Use Permit (RUP) application form.

Other Things You Should Know

Archaeology Information
Archaeological sites are protected under the Heritage Conservation Act and must not be altered or damaged without a permit issued by the Archaeology Branch. Information regarding potential risks to protected archaeological sites may be obtained by submitting an online data request form to the Archaeology Branch or by contacting a professional archaeologist via the BC Association of Professional Archaeologists (www.bcapa.ca) or via local directories. Visit the Archaeology Branch website for more information.

BCeID - What Is It and Why Get It?
BCeID is an online service that allows you to create a user ID and password to sign in securely to many Government services in British Columbia. The benefits of having a BCeID account include:

  • Stop and start. Save and return later to complete your application without losing any information previously entered.
  • Real time status information. Check the status of your application in real time.
  • Access your applications for multiple people (Business BCeID only) to edit or submit your application or check its status. To enroll in this service, visit the BCeID web page: FrontCounter BC - BCeID

Consulting with First Nations

  • The Province is committed to reconciliation as part of the Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous People Act.
  • The Province is responsible for ensuring adequate and appropriate consultation and accommodation, it may involve the proponent in the procedural aspects of consultation.
Proponents are encouraged to engage with First Nations as early as possible in the planning stages to build relationships and for information sharing purposes. To get more information about the guidelines and procedure manuals that are designed to assist government officials and proponents with meeting consultation obligations, please visit the Consulting with First Nations web page.

Legal Disclaimer
This guide provides the most current and accurate information available to the Government of British Columbia at the time of publishing; however, we make no warranty regarding the completeness, currency or accuracy of this information. This information is for guidance purposes only and does not replace legislated requirements. Each application is unique and circumstances may result in additional requirements beyond those included in this guide.

Last Updated: July 14, 2023