Sand and Gravel Pit

Sand and Gravel Pit

Sand and Gravel Pit: Extraction of aggregate which may include access construction, crushing, screening, washing, blasting and timber cutting. NOTE: If on Crown land, see Additional Requirements section.

Related Activities: Crown Land Quarry, Quarry – Construction Aggregate, Quarry – Industrial Mineral, Mineral Exploration, Coal Exploration, Placer Exploration


About this Activity Guide

This guide summarizes the most common requirements and recommendations for your chosen activity and is designed to help you submit a complete application. Be aware that this information is for guidance purposes only.

Mandatory Authorizations

Authorization Name Link to Authorization Guidance Link to Application
Mines Act permit via Notice of Work submission Authorization Guidance Apply Now


Cost may be a specific value or range of values. The cost includes GST, where applicable.

Cost Type Cost Description Cost Link to Details
Application fee Application and inspection fees vary with the level of proposed production. Refer to link provided for Mine Fee Regulation details. $0 - $50,000 Mine Fee Regulation

Eligibility Requirements

Ensure that you meet the eligibility requirements prior to applying.

Requirement Description
Title or Tenure For aggregate extraction on Crown land, the applicant must have the appropriate tenure (e.g. Licence of Occupation), even when the applicant holds the subsurface mineral or placer rights. A mine on private land requires fee-simple ownership or authorization from the title holder.

Information Requirements

Requirement Description Link to Details
Online Notice of Work Application
1. Mine Number (if existing) and Property Name;
2. Tenure Numbers and Crown Grant/District Lot Numbers;
3. Detailed directions to site;
4. Mine latitude and longitude;
5. Maximum annual tonnage to be extracted;
6. Planned activities;
7. First Aid Information;
8. Description of work program;
9. Time of proposed activities;
10. State of land (vegetation, access, physiography, structures, etc.);
11. Road construction and stream crossings details (length, culverts, etc.);
12. Land ownership, community watershed and park details;
13. First Nations information;
14. Reclamation Program (timing, activities, area and cost); and
15. Changes in and about a stream.
Guide to Preparing Mine Permit Applications for Aggregate Pits and Quarries in British Columbia

Potential Additional Requirements

Requirement Description When is it Required?
Agriculture Land Reserve (ALR) Approval Authorization for mining activities within ALR-designated land for non-farm use. When you will be mining within ALR-designated land for non-farm use.
Crown Land Authorization Authorization to use Crown land for mining activities. When you want to use Crown land that falls outside of your mineral tenure. E.g., staging areas, road/trail access, powerlines
Environmental Assessment Certificate A mechanism for reviewing major projects to assess their potential impacts. When Reviewable Projects Regulation criteria are met depending on the type of project.
Federal Authorizations Federal authorizations to address the parts of your proposal that may apply to the Canadian Navigable Waters Act, Migratory Birds Regulation and Department of Fisheries and Oceans Assessments for projects near water. When disturbing fish habitat, impacting migratory birds or impacting navigable waters.
Highway Access Permit A permit which allows you to connect access to a provincial highway. When connecting access to a provincial highway.
Local Government Zoning Bylaws Check applicable local government bylaws to identify any requirements. When activity is located within local government area such as a municipality.
Metal Leaching and Acid Rock Drainage (ML/ARD) Assessment Preventing impacts from ML/ARD is a highly important, costly and time-consuming environmental issue facing the British Columbia mining industry. Whenever significant bedrock or unconsolidated earth will be excavated or exposed. Applied to projects generating more than 1,000 tonnes of material.
Occupant Licence to Cut Authorization for cutting timber on Crown land. When cutting more than 50m3 timber from Crown land.
Road Use Permit (RUP) A permit to allow use of an industrial Forest Service Road (FSR). When you need industrial use of a FSR.
Special Use Permit A forestry authorization that will allow you to build access across crown land. (e.g., access road) When access is required on crown land and it is not within your claim boundary.
Waste Discharge Authorization Authorization granting permission to discharge waste. When discharging waste to the receiving environments, such as water from settling ponds.
Water Rights Authorization under the Water Sustainability Act which allows you to use freshwater, or to work in or around freshwater. If you will be using or working in or around freshwater.
Link Description
Mines Act The legislation for Mines.
Mineral Tenure Act The Mineral Tenure Act is the primary statute that authorizes the registration of mineral and placer titles with the Province and provides the policy framework for Mineral Titles administration.
Mapping Tools A listing of free web-based mapping programs and tools available to the public.
Health, Safety and Reclamation Code for Mines in British Columbia Protects workers and the public through provisions for minimizing the health, safety and environmental risks related to mining activities.

Other Things You Should Know

Archaeology Information
Archaeological sites are protected under the Heritage Conservation Act and must not be altered or damaged without a permit issued by the Archaeology Branch. Information regarding potential risks to protected archaeological sites may be obtained by submitting an online data request form to the Archaeology Branch or by contacting a professional archaeologist via the BC Association of Professional Archaeologists ( or via local directories. Visit the Archaeology Branch website for more information.

BCeID - What Is It and Why Get It?
BCeID is an online service that allows you to create a user ID and password to sign in securely to many Government services in British Columbia. The benefits of having a BCeID account include:

  • Stop and start. Save and return later to complete your application without losing any information previously entered.
  • Real time status information. Check the status of your application in real time.
  • Access your applications for multiple people (Business BCeID only) to edit or submit your application or check its status. To enroll in this service, visit the BCeID web page: FrontCounter BC - BCeID

Consulting with First Nations
The Province is legally obligated to consult and accommodate First Nations, where required, on land and resource decisions that could impact their Aboriginal Interests. While the Province is responsible for ensuring adequate and appropriate consultation and accommodation, it may involve the proponent in the procedural aspects of consultation. Also, proponents are generally encouraged to engage with First Nations as early as possible in the planning stages to build relationships and for information sharing purposes that may support consultation processes. More information is available in the following guidelines and procedure manuals designed to assist government officials and proponents with meeting consultation obligations with First Nations. For further assistance, please contact the appropriate decision making agency.

Legal Disclaimer
This guide provides the most current and accurate information available to the Government of British Columbia at the time of publishing; however, we make no warranty regarding the completeness, currency or accuracy of this information. This information is for guidance purposes only and does not replace legislated requirements. Each application is unique and circumstances may result in additional requirements beyond those included in this guide.

Last Updated: February 11, 2021