Mineral Exploration

Mineral Exploration

Explore for minerals through mechanized means, with minimal disturbance to the ground and the environment.

Related Activities: Coal Exploration, Crown Land Quarry, Placer Exploration, Quarry - Construction Aggregate, Quarry - Industrial Mineral, Sand and Gravel Pit


About this Activity Guide

This guide summarizes the most common requirements and recommendations for your chosen activity and is designed to help you submit a complete application. Be aware that this information is for guidance purposes only.

Mandatory Authorizations

Authorization Name Link to Authorization Guidance Link to Application
Free Miner Certificate (Mineral Tenure Act) Authorization Guidance Apply Now
Mineral Claim (Mineral Tenure Act) Authorization Guidance Apply Now
Permit via Notice of Work (Mines Act) Authorization Guidance Apply Now


Cost may be a specific value or range of values. The cost includes GST, where applicable.

Authorization Cost Type Cost Description Cost Link to Details
Free Miner Certificate (Mineral Tenure Act) Application Fee Required by applicants less than 65 years of age Individual: $25
Corporate: $500
Fees - Mineral and Placer Titles
Mineral Claim (Mineral Tenure Act) Acquisition Fee Amount required to acquire a mineral claim. $1.75/ha Fees - Mineral and Placer Titles
Permit via Notice of Work (Mines Act) No Fees for exploration activities n/a n/a Mines Fee Regulation

Eligibility Requirements

Ensure that you meet the eligibility requirements prior to applying.

Authorization Requirement Description
Free Miner Certificate (Mineral Tenure Act)
  • Age
  • Citizenship
  • 18 years of age minimum
  • Canadian Citizen or corporation, Permanent Resident or authorized to work in Canada
Mineral Claim (Mineral Tenure Act)
  • Business BCeID
  • Free Miner Certificate
  • You must have a Business BCeID to use Mineral Titles Online to obtain a Free Miner Certificate and acquire a claim
  • A Free Miner Certificate must be obtained before using Mineral Titles Online to acquire a claim.
Permit via Notice of Work (Mines Act) Proof that you hold a mineral claim, or permission from the holder of the mineral claim. If you are not the mineral claim holder, a letter of authorization signed and dated by the holder of the mineral claim, granting you authority to apply on their behalf and/or conduct work on the property with a valid mineral claim.

Information Requirements

Authorization Requirement Description Link to Details
Free Miner Certificate (Mineral Tenure Act) Free Miner Certificate Application Full name, contact details, identification of age (over 18 or over 65), Canadian resident, consent to disclosure of information and signature. Free Miner Certificate Application
Mineral Claim (Mineral Tenure Act) Online Acquisition of Claim Use Mineral Titles Online to acquire a claim using an electronic Internet map that allows you to select single or multiple adjoining grid cells. Mineral Titles Online
Permit via Notice of Work (Mines Act) Online Notice of Work Application Form The application asks for information regarding your proposal, such as:

1. Mine Number (if existing) and Property Name
2. Coal Tenure Numbers and Crown Grant/District Lot Numbers for proposed activity locations
3. Detailed directions to site (so that someone unfamiliar with the area and activity could find it)
4. Latitude and longitude of the project location in decimal degree format
5. Maximum annual tonnage to be extracted
6. A complete list of mining-related activities to be undertaken (including exploration activities)
7. First Aid and mine emergency response planning information
8. Description of work program in such detail that provides a clear understanding of the types and scope of the activities being conducted (and is able to be understood by non-industry reviewers, such as other agencies and Indigenous groups)
9. Duration / term of proposed mining activity
10. State of land (vegetation, access, physiography, structures, existing disturbance from other industries/activities, etc.)
11. Details of planned access construction and stream crossings for the proposed activities (road length, culverts, etc.), whether or not they fall within your mineral tenure (including both new construction and upgrades to existing access, but not including existing access not requiring modification)
12. Land ownership, community watershed and park details, as applicable
13. Any interaction you’ve had with Indigenous communities regarding your proposal
14. Information on known archaeological sites (if any) and how you will manage archaeological/heritage resources if they are discovered (via a chance find procedure)
15.Reclamation Program information (timing, activities, area and cost) with sufficient detail to allow calculation of reclamation bond via the BC government reclamation calculator
16. Details about water use or changes you may make in or about a stream
17. Maps – location map, tenure map, map of proposed work, and other maps depending on the type of application

Detailed guidance on these requirements is available on the Notice of Work Overview page at https://portal.nrs.gov.bc.ca/web/client/-/notice-of-work and applicants are encouraged to consult that information prior to starting their application.
Notice of Work Authorization Guidance
Permit via Notice of Work (Mines Act) A Location Map, a Tenure Map and Map(s) of Proposed Work There are several publicly available online mapping tools to help you with your mapping.

The recommended program for Notice of Work maps is iMapBC. Use this guide to help you create your maps.

All of the required maps must:
- be in colour;
- be computer generated;
- include a scale, north arrow and a detailed legend; and
- be at a round-numbered scale that clearly depicts your activities (e.g., 1:50k, 1:40k, 1:30k, 1:20k).

1. Your Location Map must:
- show the location of the property in relation to the nearest community, and
- clearly indicate the access route from the community to the work site.

2. Your Tenure Map must:
- show the boundaries of the tenure(s);
- show the tenure numbers; and
- be at a scale that clearly shows the requirements above, typically 1:20,000 or less.

3. Map(s) of Proposed Work:

A Detailed Site map that:
- shows the specific locations of all proposed exploration activities (e.g., camps, emergency shelters) that will occur in the first year of operations; and
- shows topography, water courses, existing access, existing disturbance, contour lines.

If applying for a Multi-Year Area-Based permit, provide a Work Area map that:
- Shows the work areas within the tenure boundary, as polygons, where all the work planned over the 5 year term will occur; and
- indicates known cultural heritage resources and/or protected heritage property.
Permit via Notice of Work (Mines Act) A digital spatial representation of the proposed permitted mine area (e.g., shapefile) Where possible, provide digital spatial representations such as shapefiles of your proposed permitted mine area. Shapefiles must include georeferenced polygons projected in BC Albers (including .shp, .shx, .dbf and .prj). Other acceptable spatial data formats include .kml, .kmz and Geomark.

You can create a shapefile using iMapBC. Refer to the Save Markup to Shapefile section of the Mines Act Permit Application iMapBC Maps and Data Creation Reference Guide.
Permit via Notice of Work (Mines Act) Mine Emergency Response Plan (MERP) A plan that explains how an emergency will be managed. MERP Guidelines for Mining Industry
Permit via Notice of Work (Mines Act) Archaeological Chance Find Procedure A documented set of actions that will be followed if any archaeological or heritage resource, artifact or item is found on the mine property. Archaeological Chance Find Procedure

Potential Additional Requirements

Requirement Description When is it Required?
Agriculture Land Reserve (ALR) Approval Authorization for mining activities within ALR-designated land for non-farm use. When you will be mining within ALR-designated land for non-farm use.
Crown Land Authorization Authorization to use Crown land for mining activities. When you want to use Crown land that falls outside of your mineral tenure. E.g., staging areas, road/trail access, powerlines
Environmental Assessment Certificate A mechanism for reviewing major projects to assess their potential impacts. When Reviewable Projects Regulation criteria are met depending on the type of project.
Federal Authorizations Federal authorizations to address the parts of your proposal that may apply to the Canadian Navigable Waters Act, Migratory Birds Regulation and Department of Fisheries and Oceans Assessments for projects near water. When disturbing fish habitat, impacting migratory birds or impacting navigable waters.
Highway Access Permit A permit which allows you to connect access to a provincial highway. When connecting access to a provincial highway.
Occupant Licence to Cut Authorization for cutting timber on Crown land. When cutting more than 50m3 timber from Crown land.
Local Government Zoning Bylaws Check applicable local government bylaws to identify any requirements. When activity is located within local government area such as a municipality.
Metal Leaching and Acid Rock Drainage (ML/ARD) Assessment Preventing impacts from ML/ARD is a highly important, costly and time-consuming environmental issue facing the British Columbia mining industry. Whenever significant bedrock or unconsolidated earth will be excavated or exposed. Applied to projects generating more than 1,000 tonnes of material.
Road Use Permit (RUP) A permit to allow use of an industrial Forest Service Road (FSR). When you need industrial use of a FSR.
Special Use Permit A forestry authorization that will allow you to build access across crown land. (e.g., access road) When access is required on crown land and it is not within your claim boundary.
Waste Discharge Authorization Authorization granting permission to discharge waste. When discharging waste to the receiving environments, such as water from settling ponds.
Water Rights Authorization under the Water Sustainability Act which allows you to use freshwater, or to work in or around freshwater. If you will be using or working in or around freshwater. Please refer to the Water Use for Mineral Exploration and Small Scale Placer Mining under the Water Sustainability Act for further information.
Link Description
Mines Act The legislation for Mines.
Mineral Tenure Act The Mineral Tenure Act is the primary statute that authorizes the registration of mineral and placer titles with the Province and provides the policy framework for Mineral Titles administration.
Health, Safety and Reclamation Code for Mines in British Columbia Protects workers and the public through provisions for minimizing the health, safety and environmental risks related to mining activities.
Mapping Tools A listing of free web-based mapping programs and tools available to the public.

Other Things You Should Know

Archaeology Information
Archaeological sites are protected under the Heritage Conservation Act and must not be altered or damaged without a permit issued by the Archaeology Branch. Information regarding potential risks to protected archaeological sites may be obtained by submitting an online data request form to the Archaeology Branch or by contacting a professional archaeologist via the BC Association of Professional Archaeologists (www.bcapa.ca) or via local directories. Visit the Archaeology Branch website for more information.

BCeID - What Is It and Why Get It?
BCeID is an online service that allows you to create a user ID and password to sign in securely to many Government services in British Columbia. The benefits of having a BCeID account include:

  • Stop and start. Save and return later to complete your application without losing any information previously entered.
  • Real time status information. Check the status of your application in real time.
  • Access your applications for multiple people (Business BCeID only) to edit or submit your application or check its status. To enroll in this service, visit the BCeID web page: FrontCounter BC - BCeID

Consulting with First Nations
The Province is legally obligated to consult and accommodate First Nations, where required, on land and resource decisions that could impact their Aboriginal Interests. While the Province is responsible for ensuring adequate and appropriate consultation and accommodation, it may involve the proponent in the procedural aspects of consultation. Also, proponents are generally encouraged to engage with First Nations as early as possible in the planning stages to build relationships and for information sharing purposes that may support consultation processes. More information is available in the following guidelines and procedure manuals designed to assist government officials and proponents with meeting consultation obligations with First Nations. For further assistance, please contact the appropriate decision making agency.

Legal Disclaimer
This guide provides the most current and accurate information available to the Government of British Columbia at the time of publishing; however, we make no warranty regarding the completeness, currency or accuracy of this information. This information is for guidance purposes only and does not replace legislated requirements. Each application is unique and circumstances may result in additional requirements beyond those included in this guide.

Last Updated: February 11, 2021