Filming - Improvements

Filming - Improvements

Filming - Improvements: Application for commercial filming or pictures on Crown land where sets or improvements (roads, construction, land clearing, etc) are needed.

Related Activities: Filming - Photos


About this Activity Guide

This guide summarizes the most common requirements and recommendations for your chosen activity and is designed to help you submit a complete application. Be aware that this information is for guidance purposes only.

Mandatory Authorizations

Authorization Name Link to Authorization Guidance Link to Application
Land Act authorization - Film Authorization Guidance Apply Now


Cost may be a specific value or range of values. The cost includes GST, where applicable.

Cost Type Cost Description Cost Link to Details
Application Fee Application processing fee due when application is submitted. $525.00 Crown Land Application Fee Structure
Rent Land rental fee which is prepaid on an annual basis. $525.00 Crown Land Use: General Commercial Policy - See Appendix 1
Insurance A minimum level of liability insurance as specified in Section 9.1 of the policy. Varies - consult your insurance agent Crown Land Use: General Commercial Policy - See Section 9.2.1
Security A security deposit may be required to ensure the tenure holder complies with and completes all the obligations and requirements specified in the tenure. $5,000.00 minimum Crown Land Use: General Commercial Policy - See Section 9.1.1

Eligibility Requirements

Ensure that you meet the eligibility requirements prior to applying.

Requirement Description
Age Must be 19 years of age or older if applying as an individual.
Canadian Citizen or permanent resident You must be a Canadian Citizen or permanent resident if applying as an individual.
Company eligible to do business in BC Must be incorporated through the BC Companies Registry, or extraprovincially registered if applying as an organization.
First Nations Must apply through Band corporations or Indian Band and Tribal Councils (Band or Tribal Councils require a Band Council Resolution), if applying as First Nations.

Information Requirements

Requirement Description Link to Details
Land Act online application An online system which requires you to enter information onscreen and upload documentation, digital files and/or maps to support your application. See the link provided for a checklist of requirements. You can link directly to the online application in the Mandatory Authorizations section. Commercial Film Application Requirements Checklist
Film Activity letter A letter describing your filming activity, as outlined in the link provided. Commercial Film Application Requirements Checklist
  1. Location Map
  2. Site Plan Map
Create a Location Map and Site Plan Map as per the "Commercial and Industrial, Log Handling, Marina" mapping instructions on the linked page. A digital file in the form of a shapefile, KML or Geomark link is preferred although not required. See Links section for mapping tools to assist with digital files. Site Map Samples Web Page

Potential Additional Requirements

Requirement Description When is it Required?
Agent Letter Signed and dated letter providing approval for agent or consultant to act on behalf of applicant. Legal names/entities to be used on letter. Refer to Links section for template. When an agent or consultant will be acting on behalf of applicant.
Certificate of Incorporation A Certificate of Incorporation through the BC Companies Registry. When the applicant is a company registered in BC.
Co-Applicant Permission A co-applicant authorization letter is generated within the Online Application system which must be signed digitally or printed, signed and uploaded. The letter authorizes the main applicant to provide personal information for all co-applicants. A separate letter is required for each coapplicant. When more than one applicant has requested to be named on the tenure document, which makes them coapplicants.
Occupant Licence to Cut An authorization for trees to be cut on a Crown land tenure. Refer to Links section for additional information. When the tenure holder needs to cut timber on the Crown land tenure.
Water Sustainability Act - Change or Use Approval An authorization under the Water Sustainability Act which allows you to make changes in and about a freshwater source. Change or Use approval applies depending on activity and length of use. If you will be working in or around freshwater.
Link Description
Agent Letter (Letter of Agency) A document to be signed to allow another party to manage an application on behalf of a client.
Crown Land Use: Film Site Web Page A web page providing additional detail.
Crown Land Use: General Commercial Policy The Crown Land Use Policy which provides the details of the land use program being summarized by this document.
iMapBC A mapping tool where you can create a shapefile.
Occupant Licence to Cut Form A form to use if requesting to cut or cut and remove trees on a Crown land tenure.
Road Use Permit Application Form A Road Use Permit (RUP) application form.
Water Use – Short Term A permit required to divert and use water, and to construct works for a short term.

Other Things You Should Know

Archaeology Information
Archaeological sites are protected under the Heritage Conservation Act and must not be altered or damaged without a permit issued by the Archaeology Branch. Information regarding potential risks to protected archaeological sites may be obtained by submitting an online data request form to the Archaeology Branch or by contacting a professional archaeologist via the BC Association of Professional Archaeologists ( or via local directories. Visit the Archaeology Branch website for more information.

BCeID - What Is It and Why Get It?
BCeID is an online service that allows you to create a user ID and password to sign in securely to many Government services in British Columbia. The benefits of having a BCeID account include:

  • Stop and start. Save and return later to complete your application without losing any information previously entered.
  • Real time status information. Check the status of your application in real time.
  • Access your applications for multiple people (Business BCeID only) to edit or submit your application or check its status. To enroll in this service, visit the BCeID web page: FrontCounter BC - BCeID

Consulting with First Nations
The Province is legally obligated to consult and accommodate First Nations, where required, on land and resource decisions that could impact their Aboriginal Interests. While the Province is responsible for ensuring adequate and appropriate consultation and accommodation, it may involve the proponent in the procedural aspects of consultation. Also, proponents are generally encouraged to engage with First Nations as early as possible in the planning stages to build relationships and for information sharing purposes that may support consultation processes. More information is available in the following guidelines and procedure manuals designed to assist government officials and proponents with meeting consultation obligations with First Nations. For further assistance, please contact the appropriate decision making agency.

Legal Disclaimer
This guide provides the most current and accurate information available to the Government of British Columbia at the time of publishing; however, we make no warranty regarding the completeness, currency or accuracy of this information. This information is for guidance purposes only and does not replace legislated requirements. Each application is unique and circumstances may result in additional requirements beyond those included in this guide.

Last Updated: August 31, 2016