Common Questions & Answers

Common Questions & Answers




  1. I want to buy Crown (government owned) land. Where and how can I do this?

Under the British Columbia Land Act government is not able to sell Crown land directly to an applicant, except in special cases. For example: the land of interest is landlocked and the applicant owns all the surrounding land. Otherwise, Crown land is sold through a competitive process and listed for auction.

When not sold at auction, Crown land is listed for sale on MLS listings such as

Please contact the FrontCounter BC office in your area of interest to discuss potential upcoming opportunities.


  1. Why does my hunter’s profile indicate there are no licences available to me and won’t let me buy a licence?  

There are several reasons why your hunting profile is not allowing you to purchase licencing or Limited Entry Hunting applications, including:

  • You have not applied for credentials (e.g. residency or hunting credentials) in your profile. Please follow the instructions for ‘How to access your profile or apply for credentials’.
  • Your BC Residency credential has expired. Please follow the instructions for ‘How to renew your residency credential’.
  • Your Hunting Credential is showing as ‘Suspended.’ You may have an unpaid fine under the Wildlife Act or are restricted from holding a hunting licence. If you have paid your fine and your profile is still showing as suspended, please call FrontCounter BC at 1 877 855-3222 for assistance.
  • You have unpaid royalties or an outstanding report for a past Permit to Accompany.  Please complete and submit Appendix C of your permit along with the royalty payment. If you do not have a copy of your permit, please contact FrontCounter BC at 1 877 855-3222.


  1. Why did I receive a water bill from the Crown (Government)?

British Columbia's Water Sustainability Act assigns ownership of surface and groundwater to the Crown (government), on behalf of the residents of the province. With a few exceptions, if you want to divert and use surface water or non-domestic groundwater, you must obtain a water licence or a use approval under the Water Sustainability Act that grants you the rights to that water. When a water licence is issued, annual water rentals are assessed. The statement you receive from the Water Management Branch reflects the annual rental charge for your right to use the water allocated to you. Click here for more information on water billing.


  1. Is my well registered?

You can check if your well is registered using the Groundwater Wells and Aquifers search tool, or through:

To register your well, complete a well registration form (PDF)and email it to or mail to the address provided.


  1. How can I check the status of my application?

If you used a BCeID to complete your application, log in to the Natural Resource Online Services website and navigate to “Manage Applications” displayed across the top bar.

If you did not use a BCeID, contact FrontCounter BC with your application tracking number. 

Phone Monday to Friday: 8:30am-4:30pm Pacific time (9:30am-5:30pm Mountain time)

Toll free: 1-877-855-3222 From outside North America: ++1-778-372-0729 Email:


  1. When can I submit applications for the Fall Limited Entry Hunting (LEH) Draw?

Applications for the Fall LEH draw are typically available for purchase mid to late April. An announcement will be posted on the Hunting in B.C. website when it is open to applications. More information on LEH can be found here.


  1. When do the classified water angling licences come on sale for non-resident/non-resident alien anglers?

New season licences will be available for pre-purchase during the month of March; 12:01 AM March 1rst (Pacific Time). Angling licences are valid from April 1 thru March 31 of the following year.

Note: Both the current year and the new season licence products will be available during the month of March. You must select “the current season” or “the following season” button to purchase licences based on whether you intend to fish before or after March 31. 



COVID-19 Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How do I purchase items without going in-person to a FrontCounter BC office?

A: A number of alternative purchasing options exist for our products:

Hunting Licences and Species Licences

Freshwater Fishing Licences

Hazardous Waste Manifests


Q: How do I make payments without going in-person to a FrontCounter BC office?

A: Alternative payment options exist for the following:

  • Natural Resource Applications: You have the option to pay directly online at the time of application completion. Alternatively, you can mail in your payment to the address on the remittance slip at the end of the application submission.
  • Invoices: All natural resource invoices (Water, Crown Land, Environmental Management, BC Parks, Fish and Wildlife) should have information directly on the invoice as to where you can send your payment. If you need further clarification, please Contact Us.


Q: How do I know if your offices are open so I can obtain assistance in-person?

A: If you require in-person support, please contact one of our locations first by phone or email before coming to our offices in order to help protect the heath and well-being of the public and our employees. We encourage you to take advantage of our website resources, where many self-serve options are available to you.