Trapline Transfer/Registration

Trapline Transfer/Registration

Apply Now



This application allows you to register a trapline or transfer a registered trapline in British Columbia. Please note that all trapline transfer forms must be accompanied by a completed trapline registration form.

Costs and Responsibilities

$50.00 Registration and Transfer Fee 

Fees are payable at the time of application. Applications will not be processed until the fee has been paid. 

Fees can be paid online at the time of application, or at a FrontCounter BC location. See Payment Guidelines for more information.

The Habitat Conservation Trust Fund surcharge is included in the above fee(s).

Fees calculated on the electronic Fish and Wildlife application may not be the complete final fee. A Permit Clerk will contact you if late fees are owed or if other licence specific fees are outstanding.

What you need to apply


The following criteria must be met in order to proceed with an application for a Trapline Registration or Transfer:

  • Must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada (i.e. a landed immigrant)
  • Must be 19 years of age or older

Before you start

Trapline Transfer and Registration forms require the physical signatures of all Transferring Trapline Owners and of the new Registered Trapline Holders. Be prepared to acquire and provide these signatures on your application. 

  • B.C. Trapline Transfer Form - the current registered trapline holder(s) consent to transfer to the new trapline holder(s). This form needs to be completed by all people currently registered on the trapline. All current trapline holders must sign this form in front of a witness.

    If removing a deceased registered trapline holder, the executor of the estate, someone named in the will to inherit the trapline, or an immediate family member, must sign on behalf of the deceased. A Power of Attorney does not qualify and cannot sign for a Trapline Transfer.

    “Immediate family member” means the father, brother, son, uncle, nephew, grandfather, grandson, mother, sister, daughter, aunt, niece, grandmother, granddaughter, spouse, common law spouse, father-in-law, mother-in-law, son-in-law, daughter-in-law, brother-in-law, or sister-in-law of a person.

    The executor of the estate of the deceased trapper, someone named in the will to inherit the trapline, or an immediate family member (if no family member(s) is specified in the deceased trappers will) will be given one year to provide the appropriate documentation to assist the Fish and Wildlife Regional Manager (SDM) in making a decision. The documentation must be submitted within a year of the death of the Trapline Holder.

    How to complete a B.C.Trapline Transfer Form.

  • B.C. Trapline Registration Form - all new and remaining trapline holder(s) sign to register the trapline. This form must be completed by all people applying to be registered trapline holders on the trapline moving forward. This may include some or all of the current holders as well as all new people requesting to be added to the trapline.

    How to complete a B.C. Trapline Registration Form.

These forms need to be downloaded and signed by all the relevant parties and then be scanned and uploaded into your application at the "Document Upload" step. 

Please review your application form carefully and ensure that all required fields have been filled out before you submit your application.

What happens after you apply

The target time frame for decision on your permit is 140 days*

*Processing time may be considerably longer if there is a required consultation process.

Your application will not be processed until payment has been received in full.

Receiving the application

Your application will be reviewed to ensure that it is complete. Your payment and documents will be entered into the appropriate systems. When necessary, you will be contacted for more information. 

An application will not be accepted and processed until all required information as well as payment has been received.

Decision Making

A decision will be made on whether to issue a permit or not after a full review of your submission.

Issuance of Permit

If your application is approved, the permit is issued and sent to you by FrontCounter BC. If your application was not approved, you will be notified. 

NOTE: If you applied with a BCeID, you can use it to log in to the Manage your Natural Resource Applications, where you can download your licence or permit if one has been issued.
Wildlife Act

Tips for a successful application

Follow these tips to make the application process easier:

  1. Review this guide and have all the information and documents ready before you start filling out the application.
  2. Use a Basic, Personal or Business BCeID for your application. A BCeID is easy to get and allows you to save your application, reopen it, and check the status of your application online. Applications will automatically time-out after a certain period of inactivity if not saved.
  3. Contact FrontCounter BC before you begin, to help you with all natural resource applications.