Notice of Work

Notice of Work

Apply Now



This application allows you to apply for a Mines Act Permit under the Mines Act, in order to explore and develop the Province's mineral, coal, placer, quarry and aggregate resources.

Costs and Responsibilities


Budget 2015 includes the introduction of permit fees for mines in B.C. These fees will be charged to new and existing applications for major mines, large pits and quarries and very large placer mines. There are no fees for exploration activities. The fees will enable government to assign the proper resources to provide the services needed and ensure a timely permitting model is maintained.

The new fees will NOT be charged for amendments to applications that are merely administrative or clerical in nature.

For Placer applications, the fee will be calculated based on the maximum annual pay dirt that your operation will move in the highest operating year. For large sand and gravel pits and quarries, fees will be calculated based on the maximum annual tonnage extracted in the years being applied for and the number of years that your facility has been operating.

Once the fee amount is calculated on your application, you will have the opportunity to pay the fee using one of the following methods:

  • Online via Credit Card(Visa, Visa-Debit, Master Card, American Express)
  • Mail Payment Cheque/Money Order - Payable to Minister of Finance
  • Cash/Debit - To be paid at one of the FrontCounter BC office locations


The submission of an application does NOT allow you to commence any mechanized work until such time as A Mines Act Permit is issued.

The Permittee is responsible for the safe operation and maintenance of the mine site in accordance with the Mines Act and the Health, Safety and Reclamation Code for Mines in British Columbia, and any other relevant legislation.

What you need to apply

You will need the following information and documents to fill out the notification:

Information needed

  • Your mine number (if you have one)
  • Name of the property and location
  • Activities to be undertaken (including total disturbed area and total volume of merchantable timber)
  • Detailed directions to the site from the nearest municipality
  • Information about First Aid
  • Description of the proposed Work Program
  • Proposed start and end date
  • Information about the present state of the land (vegetation, physiography, means of access, old equipment, recreational use, etc.)
  • Information about First Nations Engagement
  • Description and estimated cost of your reclamation program for each activity
  • List of equipment to be used

Documents needed

All applications must include the appropriate maps and applications received without maps will be returned. All maps must be in colour, computer generated, with a scale, north arrow and a detailed legend.

  • Location Map - must show the location of the property in relation to the nearest community with the access route from the community to the work site clearly marked;
  • Tenure Map - must show the boundaries of the tenure(s) and tenure numbers, at a scale of 1:20,000 or less;
  • Map of Proposed Work - must show topography, water courses, existing access, existing disturbance, contour lines, known cultural heritage resources and/or protected heritage property, at a scale of 1:10,000 or 1:5,000. For site specific applications the location of all proposed exploration activities must be shown; for area-based applications the work area must be shown as a polygon, with the location of all proposed exploration activities for year 1 shown, and shape files provided of the area.
  • Tenure owner authorization

Additional Documents needed for Sand & Gravel

  • Private land owner authorization
  • To-scale Mine Development Plan (for Sand & Gravel/Quarry)
  • Cross sections (for Sand & Gravel/Quarry)
  • Land Title / Crown Land Tenure Map

What happens after you apply

There are a number of steps which will take place before a decision will be made on your application.

  1. Receiving the application
    FrontCounterBC staff will review your application to make sure that it is complete. They will process your payment and any documents you might mail or bring to one of our offices. If more information is required they will contact you. (Please note that an application will not be accepted for adjudication until all required information is received)
  2. Consultations & Referrals
    Consultation and referrals may occur if your application impacts the interests of Ministries, Agencies, First Nations, other water users, community groups or other parties.
  3. Review
    Once all comments, objections and additional information have been received, a technical review of the application will be completed and a recommendation will be made.
  4. Decision
    The Decision will be made by weighing all of the information and you will be informed of the decision.
Mine Emergency Response Plan Guidelines
NROS Account Management Instructional Video
NROS Application Process Instructional Video
Multi-Year, Area Based Proponent Guidelines
Mines Act & Health, Safety and Reclamation Code for Mines in British Columbia
Handbook for Mineral and Coal Exploration in British Columbia
Aggregate Operators Best Management Practices Handbook for British Columbia Volume 1
Aggregate Operators Best Management Practices Handbook for British Columbia Volume 2
Health & Safety: A Practical Guide for Aggregate Operations
Mines Act Permit Application - iMapBC Project File Template
Mountain Caribou Habitat & Mineral Exploration in BC
Northern Caribou Guidance
Chance Find Procedure
Annual Summary Form - Mineral & Coal
Annual Summary Form - Placer
Safekeeping Agreement Forms

Tips for a successful application

Follow these tips to make the application process easier:

  1. Review this guide and have all the information and documents ready before you start filling out the application.
  2. Use a Basic or Business BCeID  for your application. A BCeID  allows you to save your application, reopen it and check the status of your application online.
  3. Utilize the Explore by Location tool to determine if your area of interest is available for your purpose. Other online mapping programs available are FrontCounter BC Discovery Tool; Integrated Land & Resource Registry (ILRR) and ImapBC.
  4. Contact FrontCounter BC before you begin, to help you with all natural resource applications.