New Park Use Permit - Land Use Occupancy

New Park Use Permit - Land Use Occupancy

Apply Now



Land use and/or occupancy is the use of park land for private (i.e. non-commercial) or industrial use. It includes any occupation of a park, protected area, conservancy or recreation area (collectively, 'parks') where there is no service being provided to the public in exchange for compensation. Examples include structures and improvements, such as cabins, access roads or trails, utility rights-of-way, communication sites, aquaculture, water storage or diversions, trapping, dams and other miscellaneous land use.

Applications will only be approved if BC Parks deems them compatible with the conservation and recreation objectives of the park(s) involved in the proposal.

Discuss your application with the BC Parks Area Supervisor responsible for the protected land(s) for which you are applying. Area Supervisors are the BC Parks Staff responsible for particular park(s). Contact information for BC Parks regional offices can be found on BC Parks website.

Costs and Responsibilities

Fees and making a payment

Please see the Fee Schedule - Schedule K, of the Park, Conservancy and Recreation Area Regulation for a list of park uses and feesGST (5%) must be added to the fees listed in the fee schedule.

Application fees are non-refundable, and applications submitted without their required fee will not be processed. Non-profit societies are required to pay application fees but may be exempt from other park use permit fees.

Fees can be paid online at the time of application, or at a FrontCounter BC location. See Payment Guidelines for more information. Note: Please be sure to include the payment remittance form or the application tracking number if submitting your payment in person or by mail.


It is your responsibility to obtain all other applicable licences, tenures or permits prior to the issuance of a park use permit.

It is your responsibility to ensure that your park use permit's annual requirements, such as proof of insurance, fees and reports, are met each year.

It is your responsibility to visit BC Online and determine whether or not you must be registered to do business in British Columbia: 

  • Businesses must either be licensed to do business in British Columbia or, if licensed/incorporated outside of British Columbia (considered to be 'extra-provincial companies'), be in compliance with section 375 of the Business Corporations Act to operate in British Columbia.
  • Extra-provincial societies must be registered under the Societies Act in order to hold a park use permit or resource use permit in British Columbia. An extra-provincial society is a society or association, or a specific branch of a society or association, that was formed outside British Columbia. 
  •  A park use permit holder is responsible for abiding by the terms and conditions of the permit document provided.

What you need to apply

Consultation with an Area Supervisor is recommended prior to submitting an application. Area Supervisors are the BC Parks staff responsible for particular parks. Contact information for BC Parks' regional offices can be found on BC Parks website.

Completed online application form. Please note that applications are not considered complete until the application fee has been paid and/or co-permittee consent is submitted.

 A detailed Management Plan that describes the nature of the activities, including the timing, frequency and anticipated number of personnel, and specific location(s). The Management Plan Template can be found here.

Any additional documentation supporting the application, such as photographs or correspondence with First Nations.

Digital maps must be submitted as part of the online application. Map(s) must be submitted for each park included in the application according the following mapping standards:

  • Digital maps submitted as pdfs or image files must include a north arrow, a scale bar (as described below) and a legend. Georeferenced spatial files may also be submitted and must be in BC Albers, NAD 83 projection.
  • General Location Map:
    • A map of the individual park(s)/ecological reserve(s) within the application
    • Drawn between 1:50 000 and 1:250 000 in scale (or larger if a large scale is required to encompass the boundaries of the permit area)
    • Illustrates at a landscape level scale the general location of the area under application, including boundaries of the proposed permit area, travel/access routes and major landmarks
  • Permit Area Maps:
    • More detailed map(s) of the proposed permit area(s), required in addition to a general location map if you have improvements or specific areas of the park that you will be using more intensively
    • Drawn between 1:20 000 and 1:50 000 scale, showing the exact proposed boundaries of the permit area 
    • Includes the area (in hectares) and any watercourses or other identifying features (trails, facilities, roads, etc.)
    • Clearly identifies the location of travel/access routes, and specific study/activity site(s)
    • If applicable, describe the construction, location(s) and use(s) of any new or pre-existing facilities within the permit area, as well as the proposed size(s) and location(s) of all future improvements
  • Digital maps or georeferenced spatial files may be prepared using the NROS Explore by Location Tool, FrontCounter BC Discovery Tool or iMapBC Tool (Tutorial).

Consulting First Nations

  • The Province is committed to reconciliation as part of the Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous People Act.
  • The Province is responsible for ensuring adequate and appropriate consultation and accommodation, it may involve the proponent in the procedural aspects of consultation.

Proponents are encouraged to engage with First Nations as early as possible in the planning stages to build relationships and for information sharing purposes. To get more information about the guidelines and procedure manuals that are designed to assist government officials and proponents with meeting consultation obligations, please visit the Consulting with First Nations web page.


What happens after you apply

Receiving the application

  • Your application will be reviewed to ensure that it is complete. If necessary, you will be contacted for more information.
  • An application will not be processed until all required information and application fee has been received.
  • The submission of an application does NOT allow you any rights to the park land. A park use permit, if issued, would grant this authority.


  • The target time frame for making a decision on your application is 140 days after a complete application is received. BC Parks target times may be affected by other required processes, such as requests to you for additional information or requirements for First Nations consultation.
  • Applications will be processed in the order that they are received. The 140 day time frame will not be changed to accommodate "rush" applications.
  • BC Parks staff will review the application to determine whether additional assessments, such as ecological or archaeological assessments, or consultation, such as First Nations consultation, may be required. Some assessments will be completed by BC Parks, but other assessments may be the responsibility of the applicant to complete at their own cost.
  • BC Parks staff and/or FrontCounter BC staff  may contact you throughout the application process to discuss your application as required.
  • BC Parks considers the impacts of a proposed activity and the particular values of the parklands in question when evaluating a permit application. If your application is denied, you will be provided with a letter indicating the reason(s) for denial.

Request Final Requirements

  • If the Statutory Decision Maker approves the permit, the FrontCounter BC permit clerk will email you a draft permit and notify you of the permit's final requirements. If no email address was provided, you will be notified by letter instead.
  • Examples of Final Requirements:
    • Written agreement to the terms and conditions set out in the draft permit
    • Proof of Insurance 
    • Permit Fee(s)
    • Financial Guarantee
  • If you do not respond to the Request for Final Requirements by the indicated due date, your application will be withdrawn, your file will be closed and your application fee will not be refunded.

Issuance of Permit

Once all final requirements are met, the permit will be issued and sent to you by FrontCounter BC via email. If no email address was provided, a hard copy will be sent to you by mail.

Why would my application be denied?

BC Parks considers the impacts of a proposed activity and the particular values of the parklands in question when evaluating a permit application. If your application is denied, you will be provided with a letter indicating the reason(s) your application was unsuccessful and any application fee that may have been paid will not be refunded. The list below provides some common examples of why BC Parks may deny a Land Use/Occupancy permit application:

  • BC Parks may not approve any new land use/occupancy permits in a conservancy if the conservancy does not have an approved Management Plan:
    • To determine if a conservancy has an active management plan, go to the BC Parks website and look up the conservancy in question. If a management plan exists, a link will be provided on the page for that conservancy.
  • BC Parks may not approve an activity that does not support the goals of an approved Park Management Plan

A list of parks, conservancies, protected areas and recreation areas can be found on the BC Parks website. Prior to submitting your application, please review the Park Management Plan information for you particular area of interest.

Park Act
Management Plan Template
Fee Schedule - Schedule K, of the Park, Conservancy and Recreation Area Regulation
BC Parks Website
BC Parks - Regional Contact List
Find a BC Park
Permit Application Policy
Other Permit Policies