Filming - Photos

Filming - Photos

Filming - Photos: Application for commercial filming or photography on Crown land with minimal improvements.

Related Activities: Filming - Improvements


About this Activity Guide

This guide summarizes the most common requirements and recommendations for your chosen activity and is designed to help you submit a complete application. Be aware that this information is for guidance purposes only.

Mandatory Authorizations

Authorization Name Link to Authorization Guidance Link to Application
Land Act authorization - Film Authorization Guidance Apply Now


Cost may be a specific value or range of values. The cost includes GST, where applicable.

Cost Type Cost Description Cost Link to Details
Application Fee Application processing fee due when application is submitted. $525.00 Crown Land Application Fee Structure
Rent Land rental fee for Temporary Licence or Licence of Occupation (film) Temporary Licence: $262.50 for terms up to one year, or $525.00 prepaid for two years Licence of Occupation: $525.00 Crown Land Pricing Policy

Eligibility Requirements

Ensure that you meet the eligibility requirements prior to applying.

Requirement Description
Age Must be 19 years of age or older if applying as an individual.
Canadian Citizen or permanent resident You must be a Canadian Citizen or permanent resident if applying as an individual.
Company eligible to do business in BC Must be incorporated through the BC Companies Registry, or extraprovincially registered if applying as an organization.
First Nations Must apply through Band corporations or Indian Band and Tribal Councils (Band or Tribal Councils require a Band Council Resolution), if applying as First Nations.

Information Requirements

Requirement Description Link to Details
Land Act Online Application An online system which requires you to enter information onscreen and upload documentation, digital files and/or maps to support your application. See the link provided for a checklist of requirements. You can link directly to the online application in the Mandatory Authorizations section. Commercial Film Application Requirements Checklist
Film Activity letter A written report explaining the proposal in detail. Refer to link provided for the Crown Land Use Management Plan template, as well as guidance to help you complete your plan. Commercial Film Application Requirements Checklist
  1. Location Map
  2. Site Plan Map
Create a Location Map and Site Plan Map as per the "Commercial and Industrial" mapping instructions on the linked page. A digital file in the form of a shapefile, KML or Geomark link is preferred although not required. See Links section for mapping tools to assist with digital files. Site Map Samples Web Page

Potential Additional Requirements

Requirement Description When is it Required?
Agent Letter Signed and dated letter providing approval for agent or consultant to act on behalf of applicant. Legal names/entities to be used on letter. Refer to Links section for template. When an agent or consultant will be acting on behalf of applicant.
Co-Applicant Permission A co-applicant authorization letter is generated within the Online Application system which must be signed digitally or printed, signed and uploaded. The letter authorizes the main applicant to provide personal information for all co-applicants. A separate letter is required for each coapplicant. When more than one applicant has requested to be named on the tenure document, which makes them coapplicants.
Link Description
Agent Letter (Letter of Agency) A document to be signed to allow another party to manage an application on behalf of a client.
Crown Land Use: Film Site Web Page A web page providing additional detail.
Crown Land Use: General Commercial Policy The Crown Land Use Policy which provides the details of the land use program being summarized by this document.
iMapBC A mapping tool where you can create a shapefile.

Other Things You Should Know

Archaeology Information
Archaeological sites are protected under the Heritage Conservation Act and must not be altered or damaged without a permit issued by the Archaeology Branch. Information regarding potential risks to protected archaeological sites may be obtained by submitting an online data request form to the Archaeology Branch or by contacting a professional archaeologist via the BC Association of Professional Archaeologists ( or via local directories. Visit the Archaeology Branch website for more information.

BCeID - What Is It and Why Get It?
BCeID is an online service that allows you to create a user ID and password to sign in securely to many Government services in British Columbia. The benefits of having a BCeID account include:

  • Stop and start. Save and return later to complete your application without losing any information previously entered.
  • Real time status information. Check the status of your application in real time.
  • Access your applications for multiple people (Business BCeID only) to edit or submit your application or check its status. To enroll in this service, visit the BCeID web page: FrontCounter BC - BCeID

Consulting with First Nations

  • The Province is committed to reconciliation as part of the Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous People Act.
  • The Province is responsible for ensuring adequate and appropriate consultation and accommodation, it may involve the proponent in the procedural aspects of consultation.
Proponents are encouraged to engage with First Nations as early as possible in the planning stages to build relationships and for information sharing purposes. To get more information about the guidelines and procedure manuals that are designed to assist government officials and proponents with meeting consultation obligations, please visit the Consulting with First Nations web page.

Legal Disclaimer
This guide provides the most current and accurate information available to the Government of British Columbia at the time of publishing; however, we make no warranty regarding the completeness, currency or accuracy of this information. This information is for guidance purposes only and does not replace legislated requirements. Each application is unique and circumstances may result in additional requirements beyond those included in this guide.

Last Updated: July 14, 2023