Export Permit

Export Permit

Apply Now



This application is for a new or replacement Export Permit which is required by individuals and organizations who are exporting i) live or dead wildlife, ii) parts of wildlife or iii) an egg of a wildlife species out of British Columbia to other Canadian provinces or out of Canada unless an exemption applies to them.

Costs and Responsibilities

$ 30 for Personal Use (includes Hunting trophies and personal purchases)

$ 55 for any other use

The $5.00 Habitat Conservation Trust Fund surcharge is included in the above fee(s).

You are eligible for a fee exemption if you are a) a government agency or a person carrying out an activity on behalf of a government agency or b) a person who requires a permit for the purposes of non-profit scientific research (see Section 23 of the Permit Regulation).

Fees can be paid online at the time of application, or at a FrontCounter BC location. See Payment Guidelines for more information.

Fees calculated on the electronic Fish and Wildlife application may not be the complete final fee. A Permit Clerk will contact you if late fees are owed or if other licence specific fees are outstanding.

What you need to apply


Anyone who is

  • 19 years of age or older OR
  • 10-18 years old, and has the written consent of a parent or guardian

can apply for an Export Permit (see General Permit Restrictions).



You will need the following information:

  • Is this a new or replacement permit?
  • Is the permit for live wildlife, parts of wildlife, or an egg of a wildlife species?
  • Use of wildlife (Personal or Other)
  • Information of Applicant (person applying for and paying for this permit)
  • Information of Exporter (person or business carrying or shipping wildlife or wildlife parts out of British Columbia)
    NOTE: Exporters must have a B.C. address
  • Information of Consignee (person receiving the wildlife)
  • Contents of Shipment
  • Species


For “Live Wildlife” you will also need:

  • Public Safety Plan
  • Description of the purpose of this activity and any special circumstances the ministry should be aware of
  • Proof of lawful possession of the wildlife and that the permit allows the issuance of an export permit. Include the permit number or a copy of the permit


For “Dead Wildlife” you will also need:

  • Location of Harvest (e.g. Management Unit 4-18)
  • Description of wildlife (see below for further requirements)
  • Information that shows the wildlife was legally harvested (i.e. Hunter Number, Species Licence Number*, Non-Resident Hunting Licence Number, Fur Trader Licence Number, Trapline Number, Status Number, etc.)
  • Compulsory Inspection Number* – if applicable (see below)
  • PIN (aka PLUG) number  - if applicable (see below)

*It is recommended that you provide copies of these documents so that your application can be processed more efficiently however it is not a requirement

Compulsory Inspection Number

The following animals MAY require a Compulsory Inspection form to be filled out after harvest. The Compulsory Inspection Number must be included on the application in order to proceed with the application. Please see Hunting and Trapping regulation Synopsis for specifics.

  • Moose
  • Cougar harvested in BC
  • Grizzly harvested in BC
  • Dall's Sheep harvested in BC
  • Stone Sheep harvested in BC
  • Mountain Goat harvested in BC
  • Elk 
  • Caribou
  • Black Bear
  • Lynx
  • Bobcat
  • Wolf


PIN Numbers 

The following animals require a PIN (aka PLUG) number be provided on the application in order to proceed with the application if the horns are included in what is being exported:

  • Stone Sheep
  • Dall's Sheep



The following animals require a CITES and not an Export Permit if the animal is leaving Canada

  • Bobcat / Lynx reufus
  • Gray Wolf / Canis lupus
  • Cougar / Puma concolor
  • Black Bear / Ursus americanus*
  • River Otter / Lontra Canadensis
  • Grizzly bear / Ursus arctos
  • Canadian Lynx/  Lynx canadensis
  • Falcons – through CITES Canada

What happens after you apply

The target time frame for decision on your permit is 30 days*

Your application will not be processed until payment has been received in full.

Receiving the application

Your application will be reviewed to ensure that it is complete. Your payment and documents will be entered into the appropriate systems. When necessary, you will be contacted for more information. 

An application will not be accepted and processed until all required information as well as payment has been received.

Decision Making

A decision will be made on whether to issue a permit or not after a full review of your submission.

Issuance of Permit

If your application is approved, the permit is issued and sent to you by FrontCounter BC. If your application was not approved, you will be notified. 

NOTE: If you used a BCeID and a licence or permit is issued, you can download it from the Manage your Natural Resource Applications webpage by logging in using your BCeID

*Processing time may be considerably longer if there is a required consultaiton process

Wildlife Act
Wildlife Act - Permit Regulation
Public Safety Plan

Tips for a successful application

Follow these tips to make the application process easier:

  1. Review this guide and have all the information and documents ready before you start filling out the application.
  2. Use a Basic, Personal or Business BCeID for your application. A BCeID is easy to get and allows you to save your application, reopen it, and check the status of your application online. Applications will automatically time-out after a certain period of inactivity if not saved.
  3. Contact FrontCounter BC before you begin, to help you with all natural resource applications.