CITES Permit

CITES Permit

Apply Now



This application is for a CITES Permit which is required by individuals and organizations who are exporting the following Species out of Canada: Black Bear, Grizzly Bear, Bobcat, Cougar, Canadian Lynx, River Otter, Sea Otter, Gray/Timber Wolf

Note to All Exporters and Importers:
All required CITES permits or certificates MUST be obtained prior to exporting and importing the CITES-listed specimens. CITES permits or certificates will NOT be issued retroactively. As well, a CITES permit or certificate will not be issued to release CITES-listed specimens which have been detained by customs due to lack of required CITES documents.

NOTE: CITES Live Export Permits and CITES Re-Export Certificates are issued through CITES Canada

Costs and Responsibilities


$ 30 for Personal Use Specimen will be kept as a personal possession by the recipient.

$ 55 for any other use (Including transfers between taxidermists)

The $5.00 Habitat Conservation Trust Fund surcharge is included in the above fee(s).

Fees can be paid online at the time of application, or at a FrontCounter BC location. See Payment Guidelines for more information.

What you need to apply


Anyone who is

  • 19 years of age or older OR
  • 10-18 years old, and has the written consent of a parent or guardian

Can submit a CITES Permit Application.


Applications and Supporting Documentation

All documents provided MUST be complete, legible and scanned in their entirety. Incomplete applications will not be considered.


FrontCounter BC only issue new CITES Export Permits. For re-export certificates (re-export of a specimen that was previously brought into Canada with a foreign CITES permit or certificate) or live wildlife please see CITES Canada

You will need the following information:

  • Proof of lawful ownership of the dead wildlife or parts of wildlife (see below for requirements)
  • Use of wildlife (Personal or Other)
  • Information of Applicant (person applying for and paying for this permit)
  • Information of Exporter (person or business carrying or shipping wildlife or wildlife parts out of British Columbia)
    NOTE: Exporters must have a B.C. address
  • Information of Consignee (person receiving the wildlife)
  • Contents of Shipment
  • Species
  • Location of Harvest (e.g. Management Unit 4-18)
  • Detailed description of wildlife (see below for requirements)
  • If you are 10-18 years old the written consent of a parent or guardian


Must include copies of the following to prove lawful ownership:

NOTE: A B.C. possession permit cannot be issued for a species that was not harvested in B.C.

  1. For species not subject to Compulsory Inspection:
    • Fish and Wildlife ID (FWID) number and/or Hunter's Licence number
    • Copy of cancelled species licence (for resident, non resident or non-resident alien as applicable). For Wolves harvested by resident hunter the FWID of the hunter is mandatory.
    • Trapping Licence (copy), original trapline number and proof that royalties have been paid
    • Fur traders Licence (copy), original trapline number and proof that royalties have been paid
    • BC Possession Permit (copy) - 2(K), 2(p) or 2(y)
    • WAIR# and barcode if purchased at government auction
    • Status Card (Copy)
  2. For species subject to Compulsory Inspection (for a list of species requiring Compulsory Inspection, see the Hunting and Trapping Regulations Synopsis):
    • Completed and signed compulsory inspection report, scanned in its entirety and is legible.
  3. When the required documentation proving lawful ownership is not available:
    • Valid B.C. Possession Permit - 2(y) permit, or
    • Receipt number and bar code from BC Government Asset Recovery Branch Wildlife
  4. If the species was harvested in another jurisdiction within Canada, a valid export permit from the Province where the species was harvested is required.

The following is not acceptable as proof of lawful ownership:

  • Guide Outfitter Declaration
  • Limited Entry Hunting Authorization
  • Letter or note that just provides the hunting licence number, species licence number, trapping licence number, permit number or CI number. Copies of these documents must be submitted with your application, as applicable.

The following animals require a CITES and not an Export Permit if the animal is leaving Canada:

  • Black Bear (Ursus americanus)
  • Grizzly Bear (Ursus arctos)
  • Cougar aka Mountain Lion (Puma concolor)
  • Bobcat (Lynx rufus)
  • Canadian Lynx (Lynx canadensis)
  • River Otter (Lontra canadensis)
  • Gray/Timber Wolf (Canis lupus)

Requirements for 'Description of wildlife':


  • Type of mount (i.e. life-size mount, head mount, etc.)
  • If antlered, please follow antler requirements (above)

Capes, Hides or Rugs

  • Life-size or partial;
  • Head, paws and claws attached;
  • Raw, salted, dried, or tanned


  • Approximate weight in kilograms

What happens after you apply

The target time frame for issuing your permit is 30 days*

  1. Receiving the application
    FrontCounter BC staff will review your application to make sure that it is complete. We will process your payment and any documents you might mail or bring to one of our offices. If more information is required we will contact you.

    An application will not be accepted and processed until all required information and documents as well as payment has been received.

  2. Decision Making
    FrontCounter BC staff will forward your application to the decision maker in the region who will review your application and make a decision.
  3. Issuance of Permit
    The decision maker will return your file to FrontCounter BC. If your application is approved, the permit will be issued. If your application is not approved, you will be notified.
  4. Delivery of Permit
    If your permit has been issued, you will either receive the permit in the mail or you can pick it up in person. It is not possible to fax or email the permit. You will receive 3 copies of the permit while 1 of those is stamped 'FILE COPY'. It is not possible to get less or more than those 3 copies.

*Processing time may be considerably longer if there is a required consultation process

Environment Canada - CITES website
Wildlife Act
Wildlife Act - Permit Regulation

Tips for a successful application

Follow these tips to make the application process easier:

  1. Review this guide and have all the information and documents ready before you start filling out the application.
  2. Use a Basic, Personal or Business BCeID for your application. A BCeID is easy to get and allows you to save your application, reopen it, and check the status of your application online. Applications will automatically time-out after a certain period of inactivity if not saved.
  3. Contact FrontCounter BC before you begin, to help you with all natural resource applications.