Timber - Free Use

Timber - Free Use

Timber - Free Use: Allows removal or cutting of up to 50 m³ and includes Crown timber for developing land for agriculture, scientific investigation, wood for a school and using timber to develop a mining claim or coal licence. 

Related Activities: Christmas Trees, Commercial Timber <50m3, Firewood, Harvest timber - Small scale and intermediate salvage, Land Tenure Timber, Timber - Traditional Use


About this Activity Guide

This guide summarizes the most common requirements and recommendations for your chosen activity and is designed to help you submit a complete application. Be aware that this information is for guidance purposes only.

Mandatory Authorizations

Authorization Name Link to Application
Free Use Permit Apply Now


Cost may be a specific value or range of values. The cost includes GST, where applicable.

Cost Type Cost Description Cost Link to Details
Application fee Not applicable. No cost. Not applicable.

Eligibility Requirements

Ensure that you meet the eligibility requirements prior to applying.

Requirement Description
Lack of Accessible Timber Free Use Permit cannot be provided if land the applicant owns or occupies has the required timber and the timber is accessible.
Proof of Tenure Documentation proving that you hold an agricultural licence or lease, or a coal licence or Crown granted mineral claim if applying for timber in relation to one of these tenures.

Information Requirements

Requirement Description Link to Details
Free Use Permit Requirements for application:
a. Applicant's legal name, address and contact information;
b. Date of commencement;
c. Location of timber (map and general location information);
d. Timber Description (volume and species); and
e. Location map.
Free Use Permit

Other Things You Should Know

Archaeology Information
Archaeological sites are protected under the Heritage Conservation Act and must not be altered or damaged without a permit issued by the Archaeology Branch. Information regarding potential risks to protected archaeological sites may be obtained by submitting an online data request form to the Archaeology Branch or by contacting a professional archaeologist via the BC Association of Professional Archaeologists (www.bcapa.ca) or via local directories. Visit the Archaeology Branch website for more information.

BCeID - What Is It and Why Get It?
BCeID is an online service that allows you to create a user ID and password to sign in securely to many Government services in British Columbia. The benefits of having a BCeID account include:

  • Stop and start. Save and return later to complete your application without losing any information previously entered.
  • Real time status information. Check the status of your application in real time.
  • Access your applications for multiple people (Business BCeID only) to edit or submit your application or check its status. To enroll in this service, visit the BCeID web page: FrontCounter BC - BCeID

Consulting with First Nations
The Province is legally obligated to consult and accommodate First Nations, where required, on land and resource decisions that could impact their Aboriginal Interests. While the Province is responsible for ensuring adequate and appropriate consultation and accommodation, it may involve the proponent in the procedural aspects of consultation. Also, proponents are generally encouraged to engage with First Nations as early as possible in the planning stages to build relationships and for information sharing purposes that may support consultation processes. More information is available in the following guidelines and procedure manuals designed to assist government officials and proponents with meeting consultation obligations with First Nations. For further assistance, please contact the appropriate decision making agency.

Legal Disclaimer
This guide provides the most current and accurate information available to the Government of British Columbia at the time of publishing; however, we make no warranty regarding the completeness, currency or accuracy of this information. This information is for guidance purposes only and does not replace legislated requirements. Each application is unique and circumstances may result in additional requirements beyond those included in this guide.

Last Updated: August 31, 2016