Group Dock

Group Dock

Group Dock: Application for a dock with more than three berths, for the personal use of a group or association of residents from the surrounding community.

Related Activities: Marina, Private Dock - Freshwater, Private Dock - Saltwater, Strata - Condo Dock


About this Activity Guide

This guide summarizes the most common requirements and recommendations for your chosen activity and is designed to help you submit a complete application. Be aware that this information is for guidance purposes only.

Mandatory Authorizations

Authorization Name Link to Authorization Guidance Link to Application
Land Act authorization - Residential Authorization Guidance Apply Now


Cost may be a specific value or range of values. The cost includes GST, where applicable.

Cost Type Cost Description Cost Link to Details
Application fee Application processing fee due when application is submitted. $262.50 Crown Land Application Fee Structure
Rent Land rental fee which is prepaid on an annual basis. $400.00 - $600.00/term Land Policy: Pricing
Insurance A minimum level of liability insurance as specified in the Land Procedure: Insurance and Financial Securities. Varies - consult your insurance agent Land Procedure: Insurance and Financial Securities – See Appendix A
Security A security deposit may be required to ensure the tenure holder complies with and completes all the obligations and requirements specified in the tenure. Varies Land Procedure: Insurance and Financial Securities – See Appendix B

Eligibility Requirements

Ensure that you meet the eligibility requirements prior to applying.

Requirement Description
Group with waterfront ownership with riparian rights to the adjacent Crown foreshore. Local resident group/association or community organization
Local government approval. Support and approval of the local government.
The area has boat access only, no public transportation, and there is very limited availability of public and commercial moorage
Reduction of cumulative impacts that could result from waterfront property owners developing multiple single docks.

Information Requirements

Requirement Description Link to Details
Land Act Online Application An online system which requires you to enter information onscreen and upload documentation, digital files and/or maps to support your application. See the link provided for a checklist of requirements. You can link directly to the online application in the Mandatory Authorizations section. Residential Application Requirements Checklist
Crown Land Use Management Plan A written report explaining the proposal in detail. Refer to link provided for the Crown Land Use Management Plan template, as well as guidance to help you complete your plan. Crown Land Use Management Plans
  1. Location Map
  2. Site Plan Map
Create a Location Map and Site Plan Map as per the "Private Moorage - Freshwater" or "Private Moorage - Marine" mapping instructions on the linked page.
A digital file in the form of a shapefile, KML or Geomark link is preferred although not required. See Links section for mapping tools to assist with digital files.
Site Map Samples Web Page
Side Profile A Side Profile must be provided for any improvements (i.e. docks, stiff-legs, anchor lines, pilings, log booms, floating storage sheds, fish pens, submarine cables) in the water or crossing the foreshore. The Side Profile drawing must illustrate the improvements, the average high and low water marks and the profile of the ocean or lake bed underneath the improvements. Dimension (in meters) are required to illustrate the high and low water levels under the improvement to the floor of the ocean or lake bed.
Photographs Three photographs to provide a view of the site that the dock will occupy as well as a view of the shoreline in both directions.
Proof of Ownership Proof of adjoining upland ownership or leasehold tenancy must be provided, such as a State of Title Certificate or a copy of Land Title System title search, displaying the full legal description of the adjoining upland parcel and the full legal name(s) of the registered owner. In the case of upland tenancy, a copy of the Lease page(s) displaying lessee name and description of the land must be submitted.
Agreement An agreement document between members of any association or group and the owner of an upland property that the group moorage facility is fronting. If the facility is located adjacent to a road allowance, consent by the Ministry of Transportation will be required.

Potential Additional Requirements

Requirement Description When is it Required?
Agent Letter Signed and dated letter providing approval for agent or consultant to act on behalf of applicant. Legal names/entities to be used on letter. Refer to Links section for template. When an agent or consultant will be acting on behalf of applicant.
Co-Applicant Permission A co-applicant authorization letter is generated within the Online Application system which must be signed digitally or printed, signed and uploaded. The letter authorizes the main applicant to provide personal information for all co-applicants. A separate letter is required for each coapplicant. When more than one applicant has requested to be named on the tenure document, which makes them coapplicants.
Occupant Licence to Cut An authorization for trees to be cut on a Crown land tenure. Refer to Links section for additional information. When the tenure holder needs to cut timber on the Crown land tenure.
Water Sustainability Act - Change or Use Approval An authorization under the Water Sustainability Act which allows you to make changes in and about a freshwater source. Change or Use approval applies depending on activity and length of use. If you will be working in or around freshwater.
Link Description
Agent Letter (Letter of Agency) A document to be signed to allow another party to manage an application on behalf of a client.
iMapBC A mapping tool where you can create a shapefile.
Occupant Licence to Cut Form A form to use if requesting to cut or cut and remove trees on a Crown land tenure.
Requirements and Best Management Practices - Designing Your Dock or Boat Launch A guide providing best management practices for designing docks.
Water Sustainability Act Change or Use Approval A web page providing additional detail.

Other Things You Should Know

Archaeology Information
Archaeological sites are protected under the Heritage Conservation Act and must not be altered or damaged without a permit issued by the Archaeology Branch. Information regarding potential risks to protected archaeological sites may be obtained by submitting an online data request form to the Archaeology Branch or by contacting a professional archaeologist via the BC Association of Professional Archaeologists ( or via local directories. Visit the Archaeology Branch website for more information.

BCeID - What Is It and Why Get It?
BCeID is an online service that allows you to create a user ID and password to sign in securely to many Government services in British Columbia. The benefits of having a BCeID account include:

  • Stop and start. Save and return later to complete your application without losing any information previously entered.
  • Real time status information. Check the status of your application in real time.
  • Access your applications for multiple people (Business BCeID only) to edit or submit your application or check its status. To enroll in this service, visit the BCeID web page: FrontCounter BC - BCeID

Consulting with First Nations

  • The Province is committed to reconciliation as part of the Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous People Act.
  • The Province is responsible for ensuring adequate and appropriate consultation and accommodation, it may involve the proponent in the procedural aspects of consultation.
Proponents are encouraged to engage with First Nations as early as possible in the planning stages to build relationships and for information sharing purposes. To get more information about the guidelines and procedure manuals that are designed to assist government officials and proponents with meeting consultation obligations, please visit the Consulting with First Nations web page.

Legal Disclaimer
This guide provides the most current and accurate information available to the Government of British Columbia at the time of publishing; however, we make no warranty regarding the completeness, currency or accuracy of this information. This information is for guidance purposes only and does not replace legislated requirements. Each application is unique and circumstances may result in additional requirements beyond those included in this guide.

Last Updated: July 14, 2023