Commercial Timber <50m3

Commercial Timber <50m3

An application to cut or manufacture up to 50 m³ of trees/timber. Includes activities such as commercial Christmas tree harvesting and post and rail sales. Formerly known as a cash sale.

Related Activities: Christmas Trees, Firewood, Harvest timber - Small scale and intermediate salvage, Land Tenure Timber, Timber - Free Use, Timber - Traditional Use


About this Activity Guide

This guide summarizes the most common requirements and recommendations for your chosen activity and is designed to help you submit a complete application. Be aware that this information is for guidance purposes only.

Mandatory Authorizations

Authorization Name Link to Authorization Guidance Link to Application
Forestry License to Cut Authorization Guidance Apply Now


Cost may be a specific value or range of values. The cost includes GST, where applicable.

Cost Type Cost Description Cost Link to Details
Stumpage - Interior For rate information, refer to the Interior Appraisal Manual (Table 6-1 or Table 6-6). Varies Interior Appraisal Manual
Stumpage - Coast For rate information, refer to the Coast Appraisal Manual (Table 7-1) for each species harvested. Varies Coast Appraisal Manual

Information Requirements

Requirement Description Link to Details
Forestry License to Cut - Cash Sale application Requirements for applications:
  1. Applicant name;
  2. Contact information;
  3. Location description (map and general location information); and
  4. Timber description (volume and species).
Note: Some Districts have their own Forestry Licence to Cut application form.
Licence to Cut

Potential Additional Requirements

Requirement Description When is it Required?
Road Permit See the Road Tenure Administration Manual to find more information about types of roads and applicable permits or authorizations. When accessing timber across Crown Land to an approved Forest tenure. Required for new construction or use of an existing road which is not under tenure.
Special Use Permit Special Use Permit application form. When occupation and use is required for: mining access roads, sand or gravel pit or rock quarry which provides materials for road construction, a communication site, a logging camp, a log dump or dry land sort, temporary timber processing facility, lookout, weather station, air transportation landing site for forest use only, educational or research purposes, weight scales, etc.

Other Things You Should Know

Archaeology Information
Archaeological sites are protected under the Heritage Conservation Act and must not be altered or damaged without a permit issued by the Archaeology Branch. Information regarding potential risks to protected archaeological sites may be obtained by submitting an online data request form to the Archaeology Branch or by contacting a professional archaeologist via the BC Association of Professional Archaeologists ( or via local directories. Visit the Archaeology Branch website for more information.

BCeID - What Is It and Why Get It?
BCeID is an online service that allows you to create a user ID and password to sign in securely to many Government services in British Columbia. The benefits of having a BCeID account include:

  • Stop and start. Save and return later to complete your application without losing any information previously entered.
  • Real time status information. Check the status of your application in real time.
  • Access your applications for multiple people (Business BCeID only) to edit or submit your application or check its status. To enroll in this service, visit the BCeID web page: FrontCounter BC - BCeID

Consulting with First Nations

  • The Province is committed to reconciliation as part of the Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous People Act.
  • The Province is responsible for ensuring adequate and appropriate consultation and accommodation, it may involve the proponent in the procedural aspects of consultation.
Proponents are encouraged to engage with First Nations as early as possible in the planning stages to build relationships and for information sharing purposes. To get more information about the guidelines and procedure manuals that are designed to assist government officials and proponents with meeting consultation obligations, please visit the Consulting with First Nations web page.

Legal Disclaimer
This guide provides the most current and accurate information available to the Government of British Columbia at the time of publishing; however, we make no warranty regarding the completeness, currency or accuracy of this information. This information is for guidance purposes only and does not replace legislated requirements. Each application is unique and circumstances may result in additional requirements beyond those included in this guide.

Last Updated: July 14, 2023